Tteokbokki, aka Korean Spicy Rice Cakes, is one of my mum’s favourite dishes. And by favourite, I mean FAVOURITE. So to honour my mum’s love for this dish, I decided to share the recipe so you guys can understand why my mum loves it so much. The recipe is as simple and as authentic tteokbokki can get but the options run free here. I’ve had tteokbokki with added veggies, vegan cheese, ramen noodles (known as rabokki), seriously, the options are endless.
This recipe comes from my good friend Liz whom wrote down the very rugged recipe after watching my mum make this dish as part of her new Youtube series Culture Bite. I’ve linked the video after the recipe so if you wanna, feel free to stick around and watch the video :)
Vegan Tteokbokki (v)
makes 4 snack servings
print recipe here
2-3 leaves Wombok Cabbage, chopped (120g)
1.5 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
1 packet Korean ‘Tteok’ Rice Cakes, fresh (thaw if frozen)
Spring Onions, sliced into 2 inch sticks
2 tbsp Gochujang (Korean Red Pepper Paste)
1 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Flakes)
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1. Mix all the Paste Ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable stock on medium heat.
3. Add the spicy paste and stir to dissolve.
4. Add the cabbage and cook until soft.
5. Add the rice cakes, stir to cover in the sauce and simmer on low heat until sauce thickens.
6. Finally, stir in the spring onions and stir until they soften